In today’s episode, we chat with Dr. Charlotte Akor about all of the secrets of medical billing and coding. She is an expert in this field and shares so many tips and tricks of how to code properly in order to maximize profits in your medical practice. She also has a brand new book to help physicians learn the ins and outs of medical coding and all of her best secrets.
In this episode, you will learn:
- What RVUs are, how they came to be and how they affect payments.
- Why it’s important to educate yourself about billing, coding and RVU’s prior to negotiating your contract for a new position or risk losing a lot of money.
- How she offers strategy sessions to deep dive into individual practices to analyze their practice and how they can maximize profits by billing and coding correctly.
- Why it’s important to know billing and coding to double check billers in private practice.
- How she decided to write a book about billing and coding to offer a basic foundation from a physician standpoint.
Dr. Charlotte Akor (a.k.a. Dr. Charlotte) is a Board-Certified Ophthalmologist and Fellowship Trained Pediatric Ophthalmologist, who is also an internationally recognized speaker and consultant. In addition, she is a sought-after expert on billing and coding and understanding the financial language of medicine. As the Founder of Billing and Coding Strategy Services, and the author of the new book: Medical Coding Decoded: A Simple Guide to Understanding and Applying Codes in Your Practice, she discusses real world strategies for physicians to understand the CPT and ICD-10 code book in order to get reimbursed for the care they provide so they can develop and maintain a successful medical practice. Her mission in life is simple: be passionate, grow and learn and have fun. Dr. Charlotte earned her undergraduate degree from Yale College. She earned her medical degree from West Virginia University School of Medicine and completed her ophthalmology residency at the State University of New York Buffalo. She completed an ocular pathology fellowship at Emory University and a pediatric ophthalmology fellowship at the Children’s Health Care Atlanta hospital.
Links we discussed in the show:
- Find out more about Dr. Charlotte and how to book her for speaking engagements or strategy sessions to help with your billing and coding on her website: DrCharlotteMD.com.
- Purchase Dr. Charlotte’s brand new book: Medical Coding Decoded.
Special thank you to this week’s show sponsor: Set for Life Insurance! If you are in need of life or disability insurance, or if you need a second opinion to be sure you are insured appropriately, call Jamie Fleischner at Set for Life!
Thank you for listening to the Hippocratic Hustle! I know that time is your most valuable resource so I really appreciate you spending some of it with me. If you enjoyed today’s show, please share it!
If you’d like to help me improve and grow the podcast, send your suggestions to: Carrie@HippocraticHustle.com
Lastly, don’t forget to subscribe to the podcast, so you won’t miss an episode!