In today’s episode I talk to Ayesha Fatima, MD the founder of Women Physicians for Humanity, an amazing organization that brings women physicians together to support humanitarian causes. If you are a woman physician, you can join the WP4H Facebook Group to learn more and get involved.
Dr. Ayesha Fatima is a pediatric gastroenterologist at Beaumont Children’s in Royal Oak, Michigan. She is an assistant professor at Oakland University William Beaumont Hospital. She completed medical school in India and internship at Michigan State University, residency at William Beaumont Hospital, and fellowship at Brown University. In addition to founding Women Physicians for Humanity, Dr. Fatima is also the Vice President of Syrian American Rescue Network (SARN) and heads several SARN committees, including the health and mental health committee.
- Women’s Physicians for Humanity was founded in 2015 after some of the first images and news stories came out of war-torn Syria.
- WP4H was started as a group of women physicians who found each other and their common cause on the Facebook group Physician Mom’s Group.
- WP4H helps organize medical mission trips to support the Syrian Refugees
- They partner with Syrian American Medical Society (SAMS) for medical missions
- Usually 7 day trips
- Travel agent arranges for all travel
- Locations include Jordan, Turkey and Greece
- Desperate for all specialties, but especially OB/GYN, Family Med, IM, Peds.
- WP4H has also helped with fundraising to air drop food to famine stricken South Sudan through the World Food Program
- Other projects include fund raising Amazon wish lists to furnish apartments for Syrian Refugees
Watch the Video that Carrie references about the young woman (Rania) who documented her escape from Syria.
SUPPORT HOUSTON AND THE HURRICANE RECOVERY EFFORTS
If you are a woman physician and would like to contribute to the grassroots WP4H efforts to help Houstonians on the ground, go to the WP4H Facebook group and request to be added. There are tons of info regarding Amazon supply drives for Houston and surrounding communities, along with the other humanitarian projects that the organization is supporting.
Supply Drive run by local Women Physicians for Humanity members:
- Corpus Christi Relief (Lynae Striker Canales)-
- Bay Area Church Houston (Katie Burk Gilmore) please designate for store pickup at the store in zip code 77546- https://www.walmart.com/lists/manage-wish-list-items…
The WP4H board has also approved the following fundraisers:
- Syrian American Medical Society Hurricane Harvey Relief: https://www.facebook.com/ahmad.tarakji.18/posts/10155649028359911
- Islamic Society of Greater Houston Hurricane Relief:
Giving cash is highly recommended through the following local organizations:
- Houston Food Bank:
- Texas Diaper Bank:
- Greater Houston Community Foundation: https://ghcf.org/hurricane-relief/?fref=gc
- Global Giving Hurricane Relief Fund:
- Trusted World Hurricane Harvey Relief: